Tasty vegan lasagne LAYERS OF PASTA, RICH TOMATO & CHIANTU RAGÙ, CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
Ingredients Tasty vegan lasagne
- 2 red onions
- two cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- two sticks of celery
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 100 ml vegan Chianti wine
- 1 x 400g tin of green lentils
- 2 x 400g tins of quality plum tomatoes
- 1 kg mixed wild mushrooms
- 4 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 800 ml almond milk
- 70 g vegan Cheddar cheese
- 300 g dried lasagne sheets
- ½ a bunch of fresh sage (15g)
- Peel the onions, garlic and carrots, trim the celery and pick the rosemary leaves, then finely chop.
- Scrape into a large pan on a medium heat with 2 tablespoons of oil and the chilli flakes, and cook for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Pour in the wine and let it bubble and cook away, then tip in the lentils (juices and all).
- Scrunch in the tomatoes, add 1 tin’s worth of water, then simmer over a low heat for 1 hour. Season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, working in batches, tear the mushrooms into a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and dry-fry for 5 minutes (this will bring out the nutty flavour), then transfer to a plate.
- Quickly wipe the pan, then pour in 4 tablespoons of oil and stir in the flour. Gradually whisk in the almond milk, simmer for 5 minutes to thicken, then pour into a blender.
- Add a third of the mushrooms and 50g of the cheese, season with salt and pepper, then blitz until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.
- Spoon a layer of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 25cm x 35cm baking dish, scatter over a few mushrooms, then cover with lasagne sheets and 5 tablespoons of creamy sauce. Repeat these layers three more times, finishing with all the remaining creamy sauce and mushrooms.
- Grate over the remaining cheese. Pick the sage, toss in a little oil, then push into the top layer.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for 50 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving. Delicious served with a simple seasonal salad.
A handful of baby spinach scattered between the layers is always a nice addition.
Make sure you use vegan lasagne sheets
Recipe: Jamie Oliver