Porridge is a good staple breakfast; it’s cheap, it’s filling and it’s nutritious, plus it’s super-simple to customise to keep things interesting. Have fun with your combos!
Ingredients Banana & cinnamon porridge
- BASIC PORRIDGE
- 160 g rolled oats
- 600 ml milk or organic soya milk
- BANANA & CINNAMON TOPPING
- 2 ripe bananas
- 30 g flaked almonds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- maple syrup or runny honey
- For the basic porridge, place the oats and the milk (or 600ml water) into a large pan over a medium heat, and add a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Bring to a steady simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often to give you a smooth, creamy porridge, and loosening with extra milk, if needed.
- Serve as is, or while it’s blipping away in the pan, follow the next steps to prepare the banana and cinnamon topping.
- Peel and slice the bananas at an angle.
- Toast the almonds in a dry non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Stir the cinnamon, poppy seeds and a little maple syrup or honey through the porridge, then divide between bowls.
- Scatter the bananas and almonds on top, then drizzle with a little extra maple syrup or honey, if you like.