Vegan toffee apple cake MIXED SPICE, LEMON & WALNUTS
Sticky-sweet and topped with lightly spiced apples, this vegan toffee apple cake makes the perfect afternoon tea treat!
- 25 g vegan margarine , plus extra for greasing
- 3 dessert apples
- 195 g muscovado sugar
- 180 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ teaspoons mixed spice
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tesapoon vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 85 g shelled walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4, and grease and line the base of a 23cm square cake tin.
- Core and coarsely grate 2 of the apples and finely slice the remaining apple.
- Melt 85g of the sugar and the margarine in a pan, then pour into the prepared tin. Top with the sliced apple in a single layer.
- Combine the flour, 110g of sugar, the bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, 180ml water, the vinegar, grated apple and lemon zest. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet, quickly but thoroughly.
- Roughly chop and stir in the walnuts, then pour over the layer of apples in the cake tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool for 5 minutes before turning out.
Recipe: Jamie Oliver