- 150 g rice noodles
- sesame oil
- 20 g unsalted peanuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 80 g silken tofu
- low-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons tamarind p
- 2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 limes
- 1 shallot
- 320 g crunchy veg , such as asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli, pak choi, baby corn
- 80 g beansprouts
- 2 large free-range eggs
- olive oil
- dried chilli flakes
- ½ a cos lettuce
- ½ a mixed bunch of fresh basil, mint and coriander , (15g)
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain and refresh under cold running water and toss with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Lightly toast the peanuts in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat until golden, then bash in a pestle and mortar until fine, and tip into a bowl.
- Peel the garlic and bash to a paste with the tofu, add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of soy, the tamarind paste and chilli sauce, then squeeze and muddle in half the lime juice.
- Peel and finely slice the shallot, then place in the frying pan over a high heat. Trim, prep and slice the crunchy veg, as necessary, then dry-fry for 4 minutes, or until lightly charred (to bring out a nutty, slightly smoky flavour).
- Add the noodles, sauce, beansprouts, and a good splash of water, toss together over the heat for 1 minute, then divide between serving bowls.
- Wipe out the pan, crack in the eggs and cook to your liking in a little olive oil, sprinkling with a pinch of chilli flakes. Trim the lettuce, click apart the leaves and place a few in each bowl.
- Pop the eggs on top, pick over the herbs, and sprinkle with the nuts. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over, and extra soy, to taste.
Remove the eggs and serve with extra cubes of tofu, marinated in soy and lime juice.